CSC – IT Center for Science is a non-profit state enterprise with special tasks. It is owned by the Finnish government and higher education institutions. We develop and offer high-quality ICT services for research, education, culture, public administration and companies to enhance our customers’ success and ultimately benefit the whole society.
More information about this job
respond by email
Our accomplished staff form the grounds of our success. We offer you interesting work in a supportive atmosphere with the opportunity to develop your own expertise in an international company with long traditions. At CSC, your colleagues are friendly, enthusiastic and curious top-notch experts in their field.
Want to be a Forerunner? Join us in shaping the future of research data management in Finland and in Europe. We are looking for following profiles on regular bases and offer variable tasks in an international setting, among friendly team of experts, and with opportunities to grow professionally.
If you found some of these profiles suitable for you, you are welcome to apply at:
We are looking for Cloud Specialists in different Areas of Expertise
Infrastructure Platforms creates cloud, storage and network solutions for CSC and the profiles we are looking for:
• Scrum-oriented Product Owners
• Network Specialists
• VMware Specialists
• OpenStack and OKD/OpenShift Specialists
Storage Specialists for CEPH and other storage solutions
Technical Coordinator is contributing in European collaborations in the area of research data services by boosting its activities in European projects and partnerships. Besides the European collaboration this role can offer opportunities in, for example, to initiate new projects, influence CSC’s EUDAT related operational and business models, or develop sales and customer engagement at CSC.
In order to succeed in this position, we expect you have the following experience / skills:
-Project management in IT related projects
-Organizing events or meetings (physical or online)
-Written and spoken communications in English
In addition, the following skills will be beneficial:
-IT service development and management
-Experience on participating in EU funded projects
-Research data management and FAIR practices
-Confluence tools (wiki, JIRA)
We feel that studies in a technical field give good background for this role, but you may well have acquired the needed skills through experience as well.
You have good learning skills and have the ability to perceive large entities. You want to develop and learn new things and are willing to take on new challenges. Our team has an open and honest way of working. We share both successes and failures as common enablers of learning. You have a suitable education in the field of information technology or other suitable education. You have already worked a few years to hone your skills in working life.
To succeed in the position, you need competence in the following areas:
• Maintenance and development of Windows server environments
• Active Directory, SQL, PowerShell
• Microsoft Azure services
• Technical documentation in English
• Understanding of storage and virtualization systems
• Knowledge of communication technologies and protocols
• Team and project work skills
If you also have expertise in some of the following areas, it is considered an advantage:
• Knowledge of SharePoint, Confluence, and Jira server products
• Knowledge of public cloud services (Azure, M365)
• Information security expertise, standards and processes (eg. ISO 27001, Katakri, ITSM/ITIL)
• Knowledge of programming languages (C#/.NET)
• Microsoft and other certifications are considered an advantage.
HPC DEVOPS ENGINEER
As HPC DevOps Engineer, you will work on some of these topics:
● Help the team in software deployments (Spack, Module environments)
● Help users to containerize applications for HPC environments
● Users and projects need middleware and APIs to connect external services to HPC. You help to select, deploy and enhance these tools while keeping security a key goal. Examples are CI/CD pipelines, data transfer pipelines and connecting portals to HPC resources.
● Users and projects need to run large amounts of compute tasks, you help to deploy and enhance workflow and orchestration tools
● The team operates reporting and monitoring backends (Grafana, Telegraf, TimescaleDB, etc.), you help to develop and maintain these on CSC's cloud infrastructure (OpenStack, OpenShift)
● Develop and operate our web front-ends for Supercomputers based on Open OnDemand
● User support (Level 2 & 3)
Your experience and background
You might have M.Sc. or Ph.D. in a relevant field or equivalent work experience. Many backgrounds could enable you to work effectively in the team. One typical background could be a career as a computational scientist with a high interest and experience in the technical aspects of HPC. Another alternative background could be a career as a systems administrator or DevOps specialist with experience in HPC or cloud environments. No matter what your background is, you will be able to grow and increase your competencies. We hope that you have experience in some of the following topics:
● Back-end and/or front-end development
● Developing, deploying and operating IT infrastructures.
● Strong background in Linux
● Experience in programming, e.g. Python, Go or Bash.
● Experience with operating databases
● Security and AAI
● Deploying (Ansible, Terraform) and running services in Cloud environments (OpenStack, OpenShift)
Relevant links for further information